Laura Hale Brockway, ELS*
ECRI Institute — Plymouth Meeting, PA
Responsible for copy editing articles for ECRI Institute’s risk management publications; ensuring articles are free of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and usage errors; and ensuring articles conform to ECRI Institute’s in-house style guide.
Ragan Communication’s PR Daily — Chicago, Illinois
- Contributor, June 2011 to Present
Contributes one weekly article on writing and editing to PR Daily, a daily news site that delivers news, advice, and opinions on the public relations, marketing, and social media.
Texas Medical Liability Trust — Austin, Texas
- Communications and Advertising Manager, February 2006 to Present
- Senior Communications and Advertising Representative, February 2003 to January 2006
- Communications and Advertising Representative, November 1998 to January 2003
Responsible for writing and editing of the TMLT newsletter to educate physicians about patient safety; content management and navigation for the TMLT web site to enhance customer retention and increase sales; creation and implementation of magazine articles, press releases, advertising and marketing materials, and media relations campaigns to promote the TMLT brand. Develop creative approaches to achieve communication goals and objectives. Cultivate relationships in the medical community to meet shared needs.
- Wrote 145 education articles for an audience of 15,000 physicians.
- Worked with the web team to re-design and launch of www.tmlt.org. Currently, the site has more than 8,000 visitors per month.
- Facilitated writing workshops and seminars for TMLT staff, covering content such as advanced writing, grammar and usage, and research skills.
- Worked with physicians and attorneys to develop patient safety content for TMLT publications and courses. Publications have been read by more than 10,000 physicians.
- Participated in the creation of a customer retention campaign during a time of rate increases for policyholders.
- Worked with partner medical societies to publish TMLT content through their communication channels. More than 100 articles were published in non-TMLT publications.
- Created and implemented a scholarship program that has awarded more than $230,000 to Texas medical students.
Texas Academy of Family Physicians — Austin, TX
- Publications manager, March 1997 to November 1998
Responsibilities included production of TAFP quarterly magazine, annual membership directory, educational program brochures and all promotional materials; develop all promotional and communication campaigns for the Academy.
- Produced a 40-page magazine that was sent to 4,500 physicians quarterly.
- Successfully managed content for the TAFP web site.
- Created and implemented student and resident membership campaigns that resulted in an increase in membership.
- Worked with physician committee members to set and achieve communication goals for the Academy.
Medical writing and editing; web site and social media content development to include a 300-page web site and personal blog; search engine optimization and Google AdWords implementation; marketing and advertising writing; proofreading and copyediting; researching. Proficient in InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, and WordPress.
Credentials and Awards
- Earned Editor in Life Science (ELS) certification in 2005.
- Completed advanced curriculum, core curriculum, and science fundamentals curriculum programs from the American Medical Writers Association.
- 2009 Eric Martin Award from the American Medical Writer’s Association;
- 2005 and 2009 Awards of Excellence from Society of Technical Communication
- 2005, 2008 and 2009 Bronze Quill awards from the International Association of Business Communicators
- 2008 and 2010 Awards of Merit from the International Association of Business Communicators
- 2005, 2007, 2009 Magnum Opus awards from Publications Management
- 2010 Apex Award for Publication Excellence
- 2010 Award of Distinction from the International Academy of the Visual Arts
- 2010 Best of Show Award from the Insurance Marketing and Communications Association.
- University of Texas at Austin, Bachelor’s of Journalism with Honors
- Completed graduate coursework in the College of Library and Information Science (currently known as the School of Information) at the University of Texas at Austin.
- American Medical Writers Association
- Board of Editors in the Life Sciences
- Austin Women in Communications
- Texas Exes
- American Marketing Association
Reach me at email@example.com.
* ELS stands for the Board of Editors in the Life Sciences designation of Editor in the Life Sciences.